WAYS TO USE COCONUT OIL
Olive oil, argan oil, avocado oil, sesame oil… The options and choices for oils these days are endless. Plus, vegetable oil, and canola oil are so passé.
But, once in a while we get introduced to products that capture our attention and change our lives — oh, the endless ways to use coconut oil.
It’s no secret that coconut oil is all the rage, but what’s the big deal, really? And what can you actually use it for?
This household item is incredibly versatile and can actually do some pretty amazing things. The best part is that it is affordable (I get mine from Trader Joe’s for $5.99) and can easily become an all-in-one staple product in any home.
Here are 10 easy ways to use coconut oil:
- Cooking. Known for being a great medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) coconut oil is perfect for cooking and frying at high-heats. Although high in saturated fat, coconut oil can withstand higher temperatures, allowing it to also keep its nutritional value.
- Moisturizing. Coconut oil is safe for all skin types, and easily penetrates the skin. Apply a thin layer to your skin for an anti-aging moisturizer filled with Vitamin E & antibacterial/antioxidant goodness.
- Coffee Creamer. Replace half and half, milk and creamers for a tablespoon of coconut oil. You’ll get just the right amount of flavor plus an extra boost of energy.
- Oil Pulling is a natural and traditional teeth whitening method. Place 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth, swish it around for 15-20 minutes, spit (into a trash can to avoid clogging), rinse and brush. Repeat daily, for about a month and over time, this will whiten your teeth, cleanse your gums and boost your oral health!
- Body Scrub. If you’re into DIY projects, coconut oil will be your new best friend. Mix 1/2 cup of coconut oil with 1/4 cup of granulated brown sugar, and you’ve got yourself the perfect homemade body scrub. For an added hint of scent, feel free to add some citrus zest or a few drops of essential oil.
- Deodorant. Let’s get real… Nobody wants body odor. But like many products and antipersiporants, the deodorant you buy at your local drug store is most likely filled with aluminum, parabens and a bunch of other junk that’s not good for you. But fear not, coconut oil, can satisfy all your armpit needs as it also kills off bacteria and yeast. All you need to make your own deaodorant is baking soda, root powder, and of course coconut oil. Here’s a great recipe you can follow.
- Hair Conditioning. Coconut oil also works as a great deep-conditioning treatment on either wet or dry hair, it’s 100% natural and free of silicones and other harsh chemicals that can damage your hair. Just massage a few tablespoons to dry or damp hair, comb through hair from roots to ends, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes with a shower cap. For dry damaged hair, you may also sit under a dryer and apply low-heat.
- Lip balm and lip scrub. Dry chapped lips? You guessed it, dab a little coconut oil overnight and it does the trick. Flaky lips? Mix it with some sea salt for the perfect lip scrub.
- Shaving. Toss that shaving cream that leaves you all itchy and is overly scented, replace it with some good ol’ coconut oil. Rub a generous amount on your legs, shave and rinse. Once you’re done, you won’t even need to apply lotion.
- Eye make-up remover. No rubbing or tugging required, coconut oil gently glides through your skin removing all the unwanted eye-makeup, all while moisturizing your skin.
Do you know of any other uses that I haven’t mentioned? Share them with us and let us know…